Are you planning to come downtown this evening to see the Browns battle the Rams or the Indians smash Detroit? Well, we have some friendly reminders to help you avoid things that are less fun like filing a police report or getting your car out of impound.
1. Put Your Junk in Your Trunk. Thefts from motor vehicles are crimes of opportunity. Removing valuables from the passenger compartment where they can be easily seen by thieves greatly reduces your chances of becoming a victim of this type of crime.
2. Park Legally. That meter with the bag over it is not reserved especially for you. If the parking spot you find seems “too good to be true” it just may be. Few things can ruin an evening like returning to where your car should be and having a “dude, where’s my car?’ type of moment due to a parking violation.
3. If you choose to ignore #2, you may visit our brand new One Stop Impound Lot located at 3040 Quigly Road. Here you can pay parking and tow fees and regain possession of your vehicle all in one place. Tonight’s special event hours are 7pm until midnight.
4. Don’t Drink and Drive. We have room for you in the jail if you do. Designate a driver or take public transportation if you will be consuming alcohol at the game.
5. Tailgating? Please tailgate responsibly and obey laws and city ordinances.
Go Brownies! Go Tribe!
Large crowds expected for Browns and Indians games
Browns and Indians host home games
CLEVELAND – The City of Cleveland and the Division of Police are expecting large crowds downtown tomorrow for the Browns game versus the St. Louis Rams and the Indians game versus the Detroit Tigers. Large crowds are expected to jam the downtown area and take part in tomorrow’s festivities. The confluence of inbound and outbound vehicular traffic could potentially result in traffic delays.
Construction on East 9th Street is causing lane restrictions making travel slow. Motorists are encouraged to use alternate exits such as East 22nd Street (to St. Clair or Lakeside) or Ontario (to Huron to West 9th Street). There will be no parking on East 9th Street, Ontario Street and marked areas of Lakeside Avenue and Prospect Road. Signs will be posted and meters bagged in advance. Illegally parked vehicles will be towed at the owner’s expense and can be picked up at the division’s One Stop Impound Lot located at 3040 Quigley Road open 7pm – 12am.
In an effort to prevent unnecessary inconvenience to motorists, and to ensure an enjoyable experience downtown, the Cleveland Division of Police are offering the following tips:
•Arrive downtown early
•Utilize public transportation such as buses and the rapid transit system
•If driving is necessary or desirable plan a travel route into and out of the city and have a secondary route in mind
•Familiarize yourself with downtown parking garages and surface lots – understand that the lots nearest the ballpark generally fill up first
•Abide by parking prohibitions (street parking is illegal on streets adjacent to Progressive Field before, during and immediately after each game)
•Be aware of increased pedestrian traffic particularly around Progressive and First Energy Stadium
Today at approximately 11:30am, the three suspects wanted for the homicide of 48-year old Mohammed T. Ismail and the felonious assault shooting of 28-year old Esmeil M. Ayad were arrested at an address in the 3400 block of East 69th Street. The homicide occurred on July 30, 2013 at Biggies Gas Station located at 2165 E. 55th Street. The males were arrested without incident. One suspect is an adult, two are juveniles. The suspects will be booked at the Central Prison Unit where the adult suspect will remain; the juvenile suspects will be transferred to the Juvenile Detention Center.