Halloween Observance Date, Time and Safety Tips
Halloween will be observed in the City of Cleveland on Thursday, October 31, 2013 between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
Listed below are recommendations for a safe Halloween:
• Adults should accompany young children and older kids should travel in groups
• Children should wear light colored clothing short enough to prevent tripping.
• Add reflective tape to increase visibility.
• Make sure children can see through their masks or use make-up.
• Avoid hard plastic or wooden props such as daggers or swords.
• Use foam or other soft and flexible materials.
• Carry and use a flashlight when it gets dark.
• Visit homes you know and stay within your own neighborhood.
• Be alert for vehicle traffic.
• Only give and accept wrapped or packaged candy.
• Parents examine all candy before allowing children to eat it and report anything
suspicious to police.
• Keep costumed children away from pets who may become frightened.
Fatal Hit Skip: 5 Year Old Victim
This morning at approximately 7:22 am, a five year old male was struck by a vehicle on Denison Avenue at West 37th Street while walking to school, crossing Denison Avenue north to south. The child was transported to MetroHealth Medical Center where he died as a result of his injuries. The vehicle which struck the child did not stop at the scene of the accident and instead continued eastbound on Denison Avenue. The vehicle is described as a light colored SUV or Caravan, license plate unknown. The vehicle may have damage to the grill or below.
The Accident Investigation Unit is on scene investigating the incident. Other vehicles were traveling in the area at the time of the incident and other drivers may have seen the hit skip vehicle. Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of the hit skip vehicle or the driver of the vehicle, or anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact the Second District at 216-623-5200 or the Hit Skip Unit at 216-623-5191. Anonymous information can be given to Crime Stoppers by calling 216-252-7463 or via text message: text TIP657 plus your message to Crimes (274637).