2016 Gun Buy Back Announced
CLEVELAND – Mayor Frank G. Jackson and Chief of Police Calvin D. Williams proudly announce that the 2016 City of Cleveland Gun Buy-Back will be held on Sunday, December 4, 2016, at the Third District Headquarters at 4501 Chester Avenue. In exchange for operable handguns or semi-automatic weapons, citizens will be given a either a $100 (handguns) or $200 (semi-automatic weapons) gas or food gift card.
Cleveland Police have partnered with the Cleveland Police Foundation, ArcelorMittal and Burt Saltzman owner of Dave’s Supermarkets to organize this year’s Gun Buy-Back.
“The annual Gun Buy Back allows us to partner with the community to take guns off of our streets,” said Chief of Police Calvin D. Williams. “Programs like the Gun Buyback save lives. We are proud to once again participate in this and appreciate the sponsorship provided by the Cleveland Police Foundation, ArcelorMittal and Dave’s Supermarkets. Without their support, this would not be possible.”
“ArcelorMittal is proud to partner with the Cleveland Division of Police on the gun buy-back program. It is a natural extension of our commitment to make Cleveland a safer place for our employees and neighbors. After the guns are collected, we are pleased to melt down the weapons and recycle them into new steel which will eventually become consumer goods that improve the quality of all our lives,” said Eric Hauge, Vice President & General Manager, ArcelorMittal Cleveland.
How to Participate:
- Bring a working handgun or semi-automatic rifle to the Third District Headquarters located at 4501 Chester Avenue on Sunday, December 4, 2016, between the hours of 12:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- The weapon must be unloaded in a clear plastic bag inside a second container (gym bag, backpack, etc.)
- Transport the unloaded and properly bagged weapon locked in the trunk of your vehicle.
- Pack ammunition separately. Non semi-automatic rifles and shotguns can be turned in but NO incentive will be given.
- Cleveland Police Officers will inspect the weapon to ensure that it is operable.
- After the officers determine that the weapon is operable a $100 gift card will be given to those who turn in a handgun and a $200 gift card to those who turn in a semi-automatic rifle.