2018 Gun Buy Back Announced
Gift cards available to those who turn in unwanted firearms
CLEVELAND – Mayor Frank G. Jackson and Chief of Police Calvin D. Williams announce that the 2018 Gun Buy Back will be held on Saturday October 20, 2018 beginning at 9:00 am at the Third District Headquarters, 4501 Chester Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio. In exchange for operable handguns or semi-automatic weapons, citizens will be given either a gas or food gift card valued at $100 (handguns) or $200 (semi-automatic weapons).
Cleveland Police have partnered with the Cleveland Police Foundation, ArcelorMittal and Burt Saltzman owner of Dave’s Supermarkets to organize this year’s Gun Buy-Back.
“The City of Cleveland is facing the same challenges as most major metropolitan areas with regard to gun violence,” said Mayor Frank G. Jackson. “Cleveland’s Annual Gun Buy Back Program is an important step to getting guns off of our streets. I want to thank all of our residents who participate.”
“We hope that citizens will take part in this program and turn in unwanted firearms because in doing so, you could save a life,” said Chief of Police Calvin D. Williams. “We are fortunate once again to have the sponsorship provided by the Cleveland Police Foundation, ArcelorMittal, Dave’s Supermarkets, True North and Target. Without their backing, this would not be possible.”
“ArcelorMittal is proud to be a longstanding supporter of the Cleveland gun buy-back. This program brings together two of our company’s top priorities: safety and community. Offering an opportunity for area residents to turn in an unwanted weapon, with no questions asked, can prevent that weapon from ending up in the wrong hands,” said Mike Madar, vice president and general manager, ArcelorMittal Cleveland. “ArcelorMittal will later melt down the weapons collected in the gun buy-back and recycle them into new steel, transforming them into consumer goods that improve the quality of all our lives.”
How to Participate:
- Bring a working handgun or semi-automatic rifle to the Third District Headquarters located at 4501 Chester Avenue on Saturday, October 20, 2018 beginning at 9am
- The weapon must be unloaded, in a clear plastic bag, and inside a second container (gym bag, backpack, etc.).
- Transport the unloaded and properly bagged weapon locked in the trunk of your vehicle.
- Pack ammunition separately. Non semi-automatic rifles and shotguns can be turned in but NO incentive will be given for these weapons.
- A Cleveland Police Officer will inspect the weapon to ensure that it is operable.
- After the officer determines that the weapon is operable a $100 gift card will be given to
those who turn in a handgun and a $200 gift card to those who turn in a semi-automatic rifle.
About the City of Cleveland
The City of Cleveland is committed to improving the quality of life for its residents by strengthening neighborhoods, delivering superior services, embracing diversity and making Cleveland a desirable, safe city in which to live, work, play and do business. For more information on the City of Cleveland, visit online at www.city.cleveland.oh.us, Twitter at @cityofcleveland or Facebook at www.facebook.com/cityofcleveland.