2019 Gun Buy Back Announced
Gift cards available to those who turn in unwanted firearms
CLEVELAND – Mayor Frank G. Jackson and Chief of Police Calvin D. Williams announce that the 2019 Gun Buy Back will be held on Saturday October 19, 2019 beginning at 9:00 am at the Third District Headquarters, 4501 Chester Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio. In exchange for operable handguns or semi-automatic weapons, citizens will be given either a gas or food gift card valued at $100 (handguns) or $200 (semi-automatic weapons).
Cleveland Police have partnered with the Cleveland Police Foundation, ArcelorMittal and Burt Saltzman owner of Dave’s Supermarkets to organize this year’s Gun Buy-Back.
“Thanks to Cleveland’s annual Gun Buy Back we have taken hundreds of guns off our streets,” said Mayor Frank G. Jackson. “This annual event helps to reduce gun violence and make Cleveland safer for everyone.”
“We hope that citizens will take part in this program and turn in unwanted firearms because in doing so, you could save a life,” said Chief of Police Calvin D. Williams. “We are thank the Cleveland Police Foundation, ArcelorMittal, Dave’s Supermarkets, True North and Target for their support once again this year. Without their generosity, this would not be possible.”
“ArcelorMittal has been a longtime supporter of the Cleveland gun buy-back program. It aligns with the culture of health and safety we have within our facility, and we are pleased to partner with the community to promote safety in our neighborhoods. We will never know the lives that have been saved by the guns turned into this program, those weapons that thankfully never made their way into the wrong hands. But every time I see a headline about a child killed or injured in an accidental shooting, I know this program has the potential to save lives. We will melt down the weapons collected in the gun buy-back and recycle them into new steel, transforming them into consumer goods that improve the quality of all our lives,” said Mike Madar, Vice President & General Manager, ArcelorMittal Cleveland.
How to Participate:
- Bring a working handgun or semi-automatic rifle to the Third District Headquarters located at 4501 Chester Avenue on Saturday, October 19, 2019 beginning at 9am
- The weapon must be unloaded, in a clear plastic bag, and inside a second container (gym bag, backpack, etc.).
- Transport the unloaded and properly bagged weapon locked in the trunk of your vehicle.
- Pack ammunition separately. Non semi-automatic rifles and shotguns can be turned in but NO incentive will be given for these weapons.
- A Cleveland Police Officer will inspect the weapon to ensure that it is operable.
- After the officer determines that the weapon is operable a $100 gift card will be given to
those who turn in a handgun and a $200 gift card to those who turn in a semi-automatic rifle.